Every year D and I end up going somewhere new. It’s become sort of a tradition. Especially if D is off for three days straight. This year, when the opportunity presented itself in August, we packed a bag and ran out the door to explore Virginia Beach.
I should preface that we selected Virginia Beach because I spent the entire summer mentioning beach trips I used to take during the summers in California. In other words, I was homesick all summer long. After living in DC for over 5 years now, you’d think I’d be used to the distance.
Our first full day in the area, I pestered D to wake up so we could spend a few hours on the beach. I knew he wanted to sleep in, but I also knew we wouldn’t have much fun under the sun if we didn’t get out the door by 10 am. The moment we arrived, I took in all of the salty coastal air. I relished how the humidity made my hair extra ‘beach’ wavy. I dug my hands and feet deep in the sand and just fell in to that moment of happiness.
I hope next year we’ll have another chance to recharge our batteries with crashing waves and fine sand.
- Hotel: Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel and Waterfront Conference Center
- Bar: Baron’s Pub & Restaurant –> Awesome late night menu plus live-music
- Restaurant: Captain George’s Seafood Restaurant –> Average buffet seafood spot
- Museum: Nauticus and Battleship Wisconsin –> Totally worth it if you’re a museum fan
- Activity: Sailing cruise on the American Rover –> Check first if they have a Living Social/Groupon deal going on.